In a world that often tries to make everyone equal, it's refreshing to hear music that celebrates difference. These 20 tracks explore what it means to be unique and special despite the challenges or obstacles that come with standing out from the crowd. From the singer's or listener's point of view, these songs assert that it always pays to be yourself.
You may also like these playlists:
- Top 20 songs about being used
- The 20 best songs about hard times
- The 20 best songs about triumph
Complicated - Avril Lavigne
Being different can be difficult, but it's also what makes us special. In Avril Lavigne's Complicated, the singer reminds us that it's okay to be different and embrace our uniqueness. She sings about how being different is a good thing and how it's something to be proud of. Her lyrics are about how we should all celebrate our differences and not try to fit in with the crowd.
All Kinds of Guys - Miranda Lambert
“All Kinds of Kinds” is a song about acceptance and tolerance. In the song, Lambert sings about how there are all kinds of people in the world and that everyone should be respected for who they are. Despite the different types of people in the world, the song asserts that we all belong together. Its lyrics are about how we should celebrate our differences instead of judging others for them.
Fat lip - sum 41
On Sum 41's song "Fat Lip", the singer celebrates his difference. He's not like the others and he's proud of it. He's not interested in fitting in or following the pack - he wants to be himself, no matter what others think. The lyrics remind us that it's important to stay true to ourselves, even when it's not easy. His lyrics are about a boy who is trying to find his place in the world. It doesn't fit anywhere, but he's fine with it.
The Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson
In the song "Man in the Mirror", Michael Jackson sings about the importance of being true to yourself. It encourages listeners to look at themselves and make changes for the better. It emphasizes the need to be honest and kind, both with yourself and with others. Jackson's message is one of self-awareness and personal transformation. His lyrics are about taking responsibility for your own happiness and having a positive impact on the world.
Hair – Lady Gaga
Lady Gaga has always been known for her outrageous sense of style. In her song "Hair", she celebrates being different and urges everyone to be their own selves. She sings, "Don't be a drag, just be a queen" and encourages people to be proud of who they are. Gaga's message is that it's important to be yourself, no matter what others think. Her lyrics are about not caring what other people think and just being yourself.
let me be myself - 3 doors down
The 3 Doors Down song "Let Me Be Myself" celebrates the importance of being different. The song is about a person who went through a lot of pain and had to hide his true identity for so long that he forgot who he is. But ultimately, they realize that being themselves is more important than trying to fit in with others. Its lyrics are about embracing your own uniqueness and not being afraid to show the world who you really are.
Secretos – Mary Lambert
"Secrets" by Mary Lambert is a song about being different and embracing that difference. In the song, Lambert sings about how she's always been different and how proud she is of it. She celebrates her quirks and the things that make her unique. The song is a reminder that it always pays to be yourself, no matter what others say. Its lyrics are about being different and how that is something to celebrate. The song is about being unique and special, and how those things are always worth it despite whatever challenges or obstacles come with it.
Mika's "Grace Kelly" celebrates individuality in a world where it often feels like everyone is trying to be the same. The song's lyrics encourage listeners to accept their quirks and be themselves no matter what others say. Mika encourages listeners to be "cool" and "stylish", even if they don't fit into the mainstream. Her lyrics are about being unique and comfortable in your own skin: "So be you / Be free / Be all that you can be."
Be yourself - Audioslave
Audioslave's "Be Yourself" celebrates those who march to the beat of their own drummer. The song is about being true to yourself, no matter what others think. It's a powerful anthem for anyone who's ever felt like an outsider. Its lyrics are about not conforming to social norms and staying true to who you are no matter what.
Minoría – Green Day
Green Day's song Minority is about a person who is different and doesn't fit in. The lyrics talk about how the singer is proud to be a minority and how he will never change who he is to please others. This anthem celebrates individuality and stands up for what you believe in, no matter how different you are from the majority. Its lyrics are about being proud of who you are, no matter what others might think or say.
Fall Out Boy: This Isn't a Scene, It's an Arms Race
Fall Out Boy's "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race" celebrates individuality versus conformity. The song is about standing up for what you believe in, even if it means going against the grain. Its lyrics are about not being afraid to be different and finally being proud of who you are. Some people are born to stand out from the crowd, and this song is for them.
My Way - Frank Sinatra
In his signature song, Frank Sinatra sings about how he's always done things his own way. He has never cared what others think of him and is proud of the life he has built for himself. This paean to individuality is a celebration of being different and going against the grain. Sinatra reminds us that it's always better to be ourselves, even if that means not being part of the mainstream.
Pork and Beans – Weezer
Weezer's "Pork and Beans" celebrates individuality in a world where people are often pressured to fit in. The song's catchy chorus proclaims that "everyone is different and that's fine". That message is reinforced by the music video, which features a variety of people and animals proudly celebrating their uniqueness. Its lyrics are about celebrating what makes you different and not changing yourself to fit in with others.
Wheatus - Adolescente Dirtbag
Teenage Dirtbag is a song by American rock band Wheatus. The song was written by singer Brendan B. Brown and produced by Rick Nowels. It was released in February 2000 as the lead single from their self-titled debut album.
The song is about a teenager who is popular with girls, while the protagonist is an outcast. Despite this, the two end up connecting over their love of music.
Come as you are - Nirvana
"Come as You Are" is a song by American rock band Nirvana. The song was released as the second single from their second album Nevermind in 1992. It was written by vocalist Kurt Cobain and bassist Krist Novoselic.
The song is about self-acceptance and encouraging people to be themselves, no matter what others think. The lyrics are simple yet powerful, and the song has become an anthem for misfits and outcasts across the world.
A Day to Remember - All I Want
"All I Want" is a song by American rock band A Day to Remember. Released on September 11, 2012 as the lead single from their fifth studio album, Common Courtesy (2013), the song was written by the band's vocalist Jeremy McKinnon, bassist Joshua Woodard and rhythm guitarist Neil Westfall. “All I Want” is about McKinnon's experience of being an outsider in high school and how he finally found his place in the world.
Fireworks - Katy Perry
There's no mistaking Katy Perry's Firework message: "You are enough just the way you are." The song is about celebrating individualism and difference, with Perry urging her listeners to "let your colors burst". It's a powerful message of self-acceptance that can inspire anyone to feel like they don't fit in. Its lyrics talk about overcoming doubts and insecurities, with the singer declaring that “there is a diamond in everyone”.
Who Are You - Jessie J.
On "Who Are You", Jessie J celebrates the unique qualities that make each person special. She encourages listeners to be proud of who they are, no matter what others say. With its powerful message and soaring chorus, "Who You Are" is a perfect anthem for anyone who has ever felt different or out of place. Its lyrics are about accepting yourself as you are and loving yourself when it's hard.
The Middle – Jimmy Eat World
On “The Middle”, Jimmy Eat World celebrates those who are different. The song is about not fitting in and feeling stuck in the middle, but it ultimately celebrates those who don't fit in society. The lyrics talk about how it's okay not to be like everyone else and how being different is something to be proud of. Many songs celebrate individuality, but "The Middle" does it in a fun and relatable way.
It must be really bad to have four years of strength now: four years of strength
There's no doubt it must suck to have four years of strength now. The band is going through a difficult time and has recently announced its split. In a letter to fans, the band stated, “Being on Four Year Strong has been an incredible experience and one for which we are incredibly grateful. We got the chance to travel the world, play some amazing shows and meet so many amazing people." However, the band also explained that "the time has come for us to move on to other things".
You may also like these playlists:
- Top 20 songs about one night stands
- Top 20 songs about missing someone
- Top 20 songs about animals
Shazam is a popular song-identifier app that works on most smartphones and even has an extension for web browsers. It can identify a song in seconds. All you have to do is hold your device near the device that is playing the song.What are songs about being different? ›
- What Do Ya Think About ThatMontgomery Gentry.
- HairLady Gaga.
- Garden PartyRicky Nelson, The Stone Canyon Band.
- Let Me Be Myself3 Doors Down.
- ComplicatedAvril Lavigne.
- All Kinds of KindsMiranda Lambert.
- Hip To Be SquareHuey Lewis & The News.
“It's My Life” by Bon Jovi
Being an outgoing and vivacious person, it's only natural that you would want a song that celebrates life and independence. “It's My Life” by Bon Jovi is the perfect anthem for living your life to the fullest.
- 1. “ It's My Life” by Bon Jovi.
- 2. “ Lego House” by Ed Sheeran.
- 3. “ Don't Stop Believin'” by Journey.
- 4. “ Beloved Freak” by Garbage.
- 5. “ We Can Work It Out” by The Beatles.
- 6. “ I'm a Keeper” by The Band Perry.
- 7. “ Highway Star / Not Fade Away” by Deep Purple.
- 8. “ Titanium” by David Guetta.
Lost and Found (The da Dada da da Daa Song)Can I hum to identify a song? ›
You can ask your Google Assistant to identify songs that play around you. You can play the song for Google Assistant to identify or you can hum, whistle, and sing the melody of a song. Important: This feature is available only on iPhone, not iPad.What songs have a strong message? ›
- “Beautiful” by Christina Aguilera.
- “Man in the Mirror” by Michael Jackson.
- “The Gambler” by Kenny Rogers.
- “Born This Way” by Lady Gaga.
- “Hey Jude” by The Beatles, Another Song With Meaning.
- “Firework” by Katy Perry.
- “Let It Be” by The Beatles.
1. “Don't Stop Believin'” by Journey.What is a song that talks about change? ›
“The Times They Are A-Changin'” by Bob Dylan
But the core message of the song is clear. Change is a constant in life. You can't expect anything to remain the same. And, anything that appears one way now may appear differently in the future.
- 'Ain't No Mountain High Enough' by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. ...
- 'I Will Survive' by Gloria Gaynor. ...
- 'Lose Yourself' by Eminem. ...
- 'I'm Still Standing' by Elton John. ...
- 'Survivor' by Destiny's Child. ...
- 'Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger' by Daft Punk. ...
- '(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher' by Jackie Wilson.
Here are some of the personality traits the study linked to certain musical styles. Pop. Extroverted, honest, and conventional. Although pop music lovers were hardworking and had high self-esteem, researchers suggest that they are less creative and more uneasy than those enamored by other musical styles.Whats a good theme song for your life? ›
- “ Tiptoe Through The Tulips ” by Tiny Tim.
- “ Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head ” by B.J. Thomas.
- “ Runnin' Down A Dream ” by Tom Petty.
- “ Thank God I'm A Country Boy ” by John Denver.
- “ Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me ” by Elton John.
- BelieverImagine Dragons.
- Glitter & GoldBarns Courtney.
- you should see me in a crownBillie Eilish.
- ConfidentDemi Lovato.
- HeadspaceRiley Clemmons.
- ManeaterNelly Furtado.
- My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark (Light Em Up)Fall Out Boy.
- I Kissed A GirlKaty Perry.
- Avicii, “The Nights” ...
- Sister Sledge, “We Are Family” ...
- John Mayer, “Daughters” ...
- Drake, “Keep the Family Close” ...
- Lukas Graham, “7 Years” ...
- Christina Aguilera, “Oh Mother” ...
- JP Cooper feat. ...
- Kenny Chesney, “Don't Blink”
- “Express Yourself” – Madonna.
- “Titanium” – David Guetta & Sia.
- “Born This Way” – Lady Gaga.
- “Don't Stop Me Now” – Queen.
- “Stronger” – Kelly Clarkson.
- “No Tiene la Culpa” – Romeo Santos.
- “Bodak Yellow” – Cardi B.
- “Just Like Fire” – P! nk.
Jawsh 685 – Laxed (Siren Beat) Doo-doo-doooo…What is the name of the 80s song that goes Dadada? ›
"Da Da Da I Don't Love You You Don't Love Me Aha Aha Aha" (usually shortened to "Da Da Da") is a song by the German band Trio. Trio was formed in 1980 by Stephan Remmler, Gert "Kralle" Krawinkel and Peter Behrens.Can Shazam detect my singing? ›
Like Siri, Shazam can't recognize a tune that you sing or hum yourself. If you don't want to use Google for that, then try the SoundHound app (Android or iOS).Can you Shazam your own singing? ›
Make your music discoverable
Go to Shazam on the web, then search for your artist name and song title. While your song is playing, identify it using Shazam.
Answer: Shazam Music Recognition is an app that you can use to identify and find a song using a short sample of their music. You can hum the tune, whistle, or play it on another device.
- I'm Good (Blue)David Guetta, Bebe Rexha.
- As It WasHarry Styles.
- Blinding LightsThe Weeknd.
- 10:35Tiësto, Tate McRae.
- One Kiss (with Dua Lipa)Calvin Harris, Dua Lipa.
- STAY (with Justin Bieber)The Kid LAROI, Justin Bieber.
- Locked out of HeavenBruno Mars.
- There's Nothing Holdin' Me BackShawn Mendes.
Research has proven that classical tunes are the ultimate focus music. There's even a term for this phenomenon: the Mozart Effect. Listening to classical music when you study arouses your brain, making it easier to absorb new information in a meaningful way. Ambient music is another solid option for studying.What is a powerful woman song? ›
“Respect” by Aretha Franklin (1967)
It is simply one of the most feminist songs of all time, point blank, end of story. Iconic line: “R-E-S-P-E-C-T.”
- Your heart is pounding. You can't catch your breath. ...
- “Unwell” by Matchbox Twenty. ...
- “Better Place” by Rachel Platten. ...
- “Screen” by Twenty One Pilots. ...
- “Last Hope” by Paramore. ...
- “Heavy” by Linkin Park. ...
- “1-800-273-8255” by Logic featuring Alessia Cara and Khalid. ...
- “Million Reasons” by Lady Gaga.
- 'Nothing Compares 2 U' by Sinéad O'Connor. ...
- 'Hurt' by Johnny Cash. ...
- 'Only Love Can Break Your Heart' by Neil Young. ...
- 'Teardrop' by Massive Attack. ...
- 'I Know It's Over' by The Smiths. ...
- 'No Distance Left to Run' by Blur. ...
- 'The Boxer' by Simon & Garfunkel. ...
- 'No Name #5' by Elliott Smith.
- DubVision & Afrojack – “New Memories”
- Purity Ring – “Begin Again”
- Johnny Nash – “I Can See Clearly Now”
- Shallou – “Begin” Feat. ...
- Michael Jackson – “Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'”
- The BoxRoddy Ricch.
- Start Wit Me (feat. ...
- Overdue (with Travis Scott)Metro Boomin, Travis Scott.
- Don't Come Out The House (with 21 Savage)Metro Boomin, 21 Savage.
- My Choppa Hate Niggas21 Savage, Metro Boomin.
- NightmareOffset, Metro Boomin.
- NEW ORLEANSBROCKHAMPTON.
- THUG LIFEBROCKHAMPTON.
- Peggy Lee – A Brown Bird Singing. ...
- The Saints – Swing For The Crime. ...
- Stan Ridgway – A Mission In Life. ...
- Vince Staples – Señorita. ...
- Sons of Kemet – The Book of Disquiet. ...
- Rotary Connection – Didn't Want To Have To Do It. ...
- Catalyst – Perception. ...
- Manchester Orchestra – The Mansion.
- Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana.
- Imagine - John Lennon.
- One - U2.
- Billie Jean - Michael Jackson.
- Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen.
- Hey Jude - The Beatles.
- Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan.
- I Can't Get No Satisfaction - Rolling Stones.
- “Jack,” Hardy.
- “Kind of Girl,” MUNA.
- “Unholy,” Sam Smith ft. Kim Petras.
- “Finesse,” Pheelz ft. BNXN.
- “ChevyS10,” Sudan Archives.
- “Bad Habit,” Steve Lacy.
- “FNF,” Glorilla & Hitkidd.
- 3. “ Part of the Band,” the 1975.
“Change For Me” takes the number one spot on our list because it's upbeat, funky, and has a super inspiring message about how we all have to cope with change in our lives.What music says about your IQ? ›
A preference for instrumental music indicates higher intelligence, research finds. People who like ambient music, smooth jazz, film soundtracks, classical music and similar genres without vocals tend to have higher IQs.Which personality type is good at music? ›
They are more open, conscientious and agreeable.
They found that instrumental musicians score significantly higher than non-musicians on the openness, conscientiousness and agreeableness factors of the Big Five personality measures.
But, according to research, even how we perceive the world around us can be influenced by music. Researchers at the University of Groningen showed in an experiment that listening to sad or happy music can not only put people in a different mood, but also change what people notice.What songs make you think about life? ›
- 1 Cats in the Cradle – Harry Chapin. Share. ...
- 2 Ironic –Alanis Morissette. Share. ...
- 3 Both Sides Now– Judy Collins. Share. ...
- 4 Turn! Turn! ...
- 5 Popular Song –MIKA. Share. ...
- 6 If I Die Young—the Band Perry. Share. ...
- 7 The Rose – Bette Midler. Share.
- 'Sexual Healing' by Marvin Gaye. ...
- 'I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More Baby"'by Barry White. ...
- 'Wicked Game' by Chris Isaak. ...
- 'Untitled (How Does It Feel?)' by D'Angelo. ...
- 'Fade Into You' by Mazzy Star. ...
- 'Need You Tonight' by INXS. ...
- 'Sexy MF' by Prince. ...
- 'Video Phone' by Beyoncé
- “Clair de Lune” by Debussy.
- “Adagio for Strings” by Barber.
- “Piano Sonata No. 17 in D Minor ('The Tempest')” by Beethoven.
- “First Breath After Coma” by Explosions in the Sky.
- “Adagio for Strings” in the version by Tiesto.
- Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana (1991)
- Imagine - John Lennon (1971)
- One - U2 (1992)
- Billie Jean - Michael Jackson (1982)
- Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (1975)
- Hey Jude - The Beatles (1968)
- Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan (1967)
- I Can't Get No Satisfaction - Rolling Stones (1965)
- “Sirius” by Alan Parsons Project.
- “Howlin' for You” by The Black Keys.
- “List of Demands” by Saul Williams.
- “Crazy Train” by Ozzy Osbourne.
- “Stronger” by Kanye West.
- “Sleep Now in the Fire” by Rage Against the Machine.
- “Back in Black” by AC/DC.
- “Party Up (Up in Here)” by DMX.
- "Airplanes" by B.o.B. ...
- "Try" by P! ...
- "Praying" by Ke$ha. ...
- "Someone You Loved" by Lewis Capaldi. ...
- "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen. ...
- "We Are Young" by fun. ...
- "Dancing on My Own" by Robyn. ...
- "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele.
- 1. " Count On Me" by Bruno Mars. ...
- "We are Family" by Sister Sledge. ...
- " Remember when" by Alan Jackson. ...
- "Young Forever" by BTS. ...
- "Home " by Philip Philips. ...
- "Have It All" by Jason Mraz. ...
- "Never Grow Up " by Taylor Swift. ...
- " My Wish" by Rascal Flatts.
- "We are Family" by Sister Sledge. ...
- "Ode to My Family" by The Cranberries. ...
- "These are My People" by Rodney Atkins. ...
- "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang. ...
- "Family Reunion" by Jill Scott. ...
- "Family Affair" by Sly and the Family Stone. ...
- "Home Sweet Home" by Mötley Cruë.
- All of the Stars - Ed Sheeran.
- Beautiful - Christina Aguilera.
- Born This Way - Lady Gaga.
- Don't Stop Believin' - Journey.
- FireFly - Ed Sheeran.
- Fooling Yourself - Styx.
- GIRL - Maren Morris.
- Grand Illusion - Styx.
This theory, which has been dubbed "the Mozart Effect," suggests that listening to classical composers can enhance brain activity and act as a catalyst for improving health and well-being.
So what type of music reduces stress the best? A bit surprising is that Native American, Celtic, Indian stringed-instruments, drums, and flutes are very effective at relaxing the mind even when played moderately loud.How do I find an old song I can't remember? ›
- The song identifying app you're probably most familiar with is Shazam(Opens in a new tab). ...
- Shazam(Opens in a new tab) is available on iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, and practically every other platform. ...
- SoundHound(Opens in a new tab) (Opens in a new tab)does pretty much everything Shazam does and even more.
Identifying Music with Shazam
With Shazam available on both Android and iOS, just hold the phone up or near the source of the music. Tap the giant Shazam logo inside the app to begin listening, and once identified, songs can be added to Apple Music playlists (Android and iOS).
Music is a very strong tool to induce emotions and therefore, to evoke memories. Listening to a song is not a lonely action. When you listen to a song while being in a place where you can find peace like a forest or a beach, you are saving that moment in your memory as a whole.Why do I randomly remember a song? ›
The most common one was music exposure, either recently hearing a tune or repeatedly hearing it. A second reason was memory triggers, meaning that seeing a particular person or word, hearing a specific beat, or being in a certain situation reminds you of a song.Why do old songs bring back memories? ›
Implicit memory can be formed by passively listening to background music. We may even develop a preference for certain music pieces simply because they have been repeatedly played in the background. This psychological phenomenon is known as the mere exposure effect. People tend to like best what is most familiar.
One of the most popular music recognition apps is Shazam. If you capture 20 seconds of a song, no matter if it's intro, verse, or chorus, it will create a fingerprint for the recorded sample, consult the database, and use its music recognition algorithm to tell you exactly which song you are listening to.What song is this iPhone? ›
Identify songs in Control Center on iPhone or iPad
To identify songs, open Control Center, then tap the Shazam button . Shazam can identify songs playing on your device even when you're using headphones. To find songs you've identified, touch and hold the Shazam button in Control Center to open your History View.